Friday the 29th of September is FSC Friday. FSC helps take care of forests and the people and the wildlife who call them home and is recognised by the WWF as the ‘hallmark of responsible forest management@.
FSC certified businesses have voluntarily taken the step to ensure that the wood, paper and other forest-based materials they use help to ensure forests for all forever.
On FSC Friday all certification bodies, FSC certificate and licence holders in the UK are invited to promote their involvement in FSC certification and responsible forest management.
- The FSC label guarantees that trees are harvested are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
- In FSC certified forests, some areas are protected entirely, to preserve rare animals and plants.
- FSC is the only forest certification sheme endorsed by WWF, Greenpeace and the Woodland Trust.
- FSC protects the rights of indigenous people to use forests. Sacred sites in FSC certified forests are exempt from felling.
- Owners of FSC certified forests must provide training, safety equipment and a suitable salary to their employees. The forest owner is often obliged to support the community in other ways such as through the development of schools.
This week has seen enquiries for FSC certification in the End of Life and Joinery sectors in Yorkshire and Coventry, who felt it important to demonstrate sustainability in the products they are supplying to their customers.
Further information on FSC certification can be found on our website here. or alternatively one of our dedicated staff members would be more than happy to assist you with any questions or queries you may have. We can be contacted on 01952 288325, you can initiate a live chat, or complete our online enquiry form.